Sunday, October 9, 2011

Thinking in the shower

I have noticed something about myself, though I don't think this is all that uncommon, particularly if you are a parent: I get my best, most coherent ideas when I'm in the shower.  I don't even do this consciously.  My mind will just be wandering and then--poof!--the answer to that problem I've been struggling with for days.

I think this is mainly due to the fact that the shower is the one place where I am alone with my thoughts each day.  Because I have two young kids, this is a very, very rare occurrence.  Still, while I think it's great that this happens and it's very exciting to have these flashes of insight, it also makes for such a weird story.  I mean, J.K. Rowling has this whole mythology built up around her, about how she thought of Harry Potter while on a train and how she'd write in a cafe.  Me, I get my best ideas in the shower.

It just goes to show, I am anything but Pulitzer material.  Nobel Prize for literature, maybe.  Pultizer?  Not a chance!  I wonder how the Nobel committee feels about people discussing their showering habits during their acceptance speech?  So many thorny cultural issues to deal with there...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like the free exchange of thoughts and ideas, but I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem inappropriate, whether those comments are directed at me or others who have commented. Be polite and respectful, please.