Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thumbs Up Thursdays: Wool by Hugh Howey

Today I'm kicking off my first Thumbs Up Thursday, where I will share a quick review of a book I've really enjoyed.  In addition to being an author, I'm a very avid reader, and it's always exciting to me to find that hidden gem of a book that just yanks you right into its world.

To kick off my first Thumbs Up Thursday, I present to you my flash review of Wool, by Hugh Howey.



Genre: Adult speculative fiction/dystopia.  This is a novelette of around 12,000 words.

What I love about the characters: They are so vivid, even though this is a short work of fiction.  Though the story is told from Holston's point of view, I felt like I really got to know Allison through Holston's eyes.  Their love story was moving without being treacly or overdone.  There was deep, binding emotion between the two of them.

What I love about the setting: This is a great example of dystopian done well.  Though Howey doesn't spend a lot of time world-building, I still got a really good sense of what the world was about and why it was structured the way it was.  There is a reason for this dystopia, as becomes abundantly clear through the narrative, which is the way it ought to be.  Howey does a fantastic job of showing rather than telling.

What I love about the plot: Pretty much everything.  I loved that Holston's feelings for his wife drove his actions, that Allison's digging into the history of their society raised questions, that Howey provided a perfectly awesome rationale for why those condemned to cleaning actually go out and clean.

What I'm jealous of: That ending!  I really hope and wish that I might someday create such a shattering, fantastic ending.  Not only is the ending great, I really didn't see it coming.

Who I'd recommend it to: Anyone who, like me, is a fan of dystopian fiction.