Friday, July 13, 2012

Food for Thought Fridays: Now you can smell like a book!

TGIF!  I'm exhausted from all of my post-vacation cleanup, so I'm looking forward to a weekend of doing lots and lots of nothing.  Because I was gone for part of the week, I didn't get a chance to collect as many links, but I still found some gems that I hope you'll enjoy as much as I did.


All Things Books

Do you love the musty, dusty smell of books?  Well, so does Karl Lagerfeld, and now he's given you a perfume so you can walk around smelling like a library all day.  Mmm, fictiony...

Nina Metz dissects why she thinks book trailers ultimately fail.

io9 has the scoop on the footage from the movie version of Stephenie Meyer's The Host that was shown at San Diego Comic-Con.  I'm looking forward to this one!

YA Highway is doing a HUGE giveaway in celebration of their 3rd anniversary.  Among the prizes: a Kindle or Nook, tons of ARCs, and critiques of your work by some of the blog's collaborators.

It's official: Mockingjay will be split into two movies.  I'm not sure how I feel about this.  I love the book, but I'm really stumped as to how they're going to portray Katniss's inner struggles, which really dominate the book.

Fans take to Twitter to speed the revealing of Cassandra Clare's A Clockwork Princess.  How cool is that?


News from the Publishing World



Around the Interwebs

Author Lauren DeStefano wrote a fantastic blog post entitled The art of being a human being.


Bring the Funny

Big Ten mascots want you to call them, maybe?  (Ah, college...  Those were the days!)


Gaming

Games Industry International examines how Feminist Frequency's Anita Sarkeesian "beat the trolls" and discusses some of the industry's deep-seated problems with sexism and a lack of female game developers.  I am really looking forward to Sarkeesian's forthcoming series on tropes in video games.