Thursday, October 11, 2012

Thumbs Up Thursday: Destroy Me by Tahereh Mafi


 Genre: YA dystopian/post-apocalyptic

What I love about the characters: This is a spin-off novella that takes place after the events in Mafi's Shatter Me.  The main focus of this book is Warner.  When I read Shatter Me, there was something about him I couldn't completely write off.  I thought maybe Mafi was going to present more facets to his character, and she did so in a big way in this novella.  I have a much better grasp of who Warner is and what makes him tick, and this book changed the way I felt about him.  I can't say I think he's a hero, but I definitely have a more sympathetic view toward him now.

What I love about the setting: I got to know a little bit more about the Reestablishment in this book, though it's still not fully developed.  I did like the detail about the world, such as the housing that was set up for the common people.  I hope the next book will go into even more detail about why the world is as it is, but this book was really more about Warner than anything, and I was very happy with that.

What I love about the plot: There's not a lot of "plot" to this book, but I don't mean that in a bad way.  Instead, the novella offers a lot of insight into Warner.  We get some detail about his background, and I gained a better understanding of his relationship with his father, which was a doozy.  I thought this novella was an excellent example of how to do a character study and do it well.

What I'm jealous of: Mafi's writing.  I really love her prose.  I loved it in Shatter Me, and I loved it in this novella.  She just a really lovely way of writing.

Who I'd recommend it to: Anyone who read and enjoyed Shatter Me, since this novella provides a lot more insight into Warner.  If you haven't read Shatter Me, I think you'd be much better off reading it before reading this, because a lot of events that take place in Shatter Me are referenced here, and you might feel a bit lost otherwise.