Monday, November 7, 2011

NaNoWriMo Day 7: I am exhausted

For the last few days, I have spent the bulk of my time moving furniture, ripping out carpet, moving furniture back, before waking up and moving furniture again so the rooms will be clear for the floor installation.  I am honestly exhausted and, while I'm excited that we're doing so many nice things to the house, I am eager for this to be over so that my life may return to some semblance of normalcy.

I know, I know, I'm lucky to be whining about such things.  Believe me, I know it.  But the downside to all of this is that I'm completely drained of both mental and physical energy.  I toyed with the idea of skipping NaNoWriMo again today and writing more tomorrow, but I really don't want to get in the habit of skipping days, so I did force myself to sit down and write.  The end result is that I'm staring at the screen in something of a daze, and I have the sneaking suspicion that everything I've written today will be thrown out when I edit.  Ah well, the point this month is to get the words down, right?

A taste of today's efforts:

***

“You’re going to be great,” Jonathan assured her, before she could even say anything to him.

“I’m going to try to be invisible and just soak it all in,” she responded.

“Exactly.  No pressure, right?”

“None at all!” she said, her voice higher than normal.

“You have to promise to do something for me.”

“What?”

He glanced around them and then dropped his voice down to a conspiratorial tone.  “You have to promise to tell me if the Agricorp contributors all have hay sticking out of their hair, and if they wear straw farmers’ hats.”

Dara burst out into laughter, startling several groups ahead of them.  As the other people turned around to look curiously at them, she tried her best to smooth her expression.

“You’re an idiot,” she told him affectionately.

“What?” he asked, feigning innocence.  “I’ve always wondered about that, and now’s my chance to find out.”

“Well, I’ll be sure to give you the full report tonight, then.”

“Great.  And don’t forget to make a note of what color their hats are.”

It was difficult to stifle her giggles, but they were now just outside of the headquarters, and she could see Andersen, Chen, and Letizia waiting just inside the doors.  

“You’re a true professional,” Jonathan told her.  She could hear the admiration in his voice, and it made her hold her chin up a bit higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like the free exchange of thoughts and ideas, but I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem inappropriate, whether those comments are directed at me or others who have commented. Be polite and respectful, please.