Monday, September 10, 2012

Monday Musings: The importance of routine

It's everyone's favorite day of the week again!  While I don't hate Mondays like I did back in the days when I wasn't fulfilled by my job, I am sorry to see my husband go back to work.  The truth is, I kinda like to have that guy around.  But what I do like about Mondays now is they mean it's time for me to focus on my passion: writing.

However, there's not much writing going on here at the moment.  This is partially because I just published Contributor and, friends, I need a bit of a break once a book comes out.  It's hard to describe how completely it takes over my life, but suffice it to say that my brain needs a bit of a rest before I put my nose to the grindstone and start working on the next book.

What I have come to realize throughout this endeavor, though, is how important routine is.  Since I started staying at home with my kids, I admit that I pretty much hate routine.  I want to roll out of bed when I feel like it, drink some coffee, and ease into my day.  Granted, that's tough to do when you have kids, but I do get a chance to indulge in some of that during the summer and on the weekends.  But the fact of the matter is, when I do have a routine, I get more done.  Without routine, my attention is fragmented all over the place and, half the time, I can't even remember what I did all day long.

My intent for next week is to start settling into my routine.  I want to establish a regular schedule for when I write, when I blog, when I do social networking, etc.  My biggest challenge over the summer was finding the time for all of these things and, now that school is in session and I have someone coming to clean my house, I don't really have any valid excuses for not being more organized and productive.  Unfortunately for me.  I may be a perfectionist, but I'm also a procrastinator.  It's like the two sides of me are constantly battling, and it ain't pretty.

I want to take a second to thank everyone who downloaded a copy of Creators during its free run on the 7th.  At one point, it reached #69 on the top 100 list of free books in its subcategory, which frankly shocked me.  I felt like I was in one of those dumb movie scenes where the unattainable boy points at me, and I do that thing where I turn around to see if he's pointing at someone behind me, but find he's actually pointing at me.  OMG!  *squee*  Seriously.  Forgive me for being a super nerd here, but it really shocks me in a fantastically awesome way when I realize that people are buying my books.  Hopefully you're liking them too, because that's even more important to me.

I also want to give a big thanks to everyone who has purchased my books.  It's 100% the truth that I couldn't do this writing thing without your support.  So thank you very, very much for giving me a reason to sit in front of my PC all day angsting over each and every word I type.

Starting on Friday, I'm planning to post some tidbits from my latest work in progress, Infiltrator.  It's the second book in the Contributor trilogy, so there may well be some spoilerific moments if you read the excerpt without having read Contributor.  For that, I sincerely apologize, as I'm one of those people who really hates it when the surprises are spoiled for me.  I'll try to keep the giant revelations under wraps.  Happy Monday!