Friday, October 19, 2012

Feature Fridays: Crippling insecurities

That awkward moment where your best friend makes you realize that the news you thought was so amazing is maybe a little less great than you suspected.

*****

“I promise.  Enough about my migraine. You called me to talk about Ben, so let’s talk about him,” Lou said.

“How do you know that?” Melinda asked, amazed.

“Hello, Melinda.  We’ve been friends for a gazillion years now.  I can read you like a book.  Did you two have a nice little chat last night?”

“Yes, as a matter of fact, we did.

“Well I’m glad to hear it.  I mean, Dem’s a nice guy and all, but I think I gave him the wrong idea by keeping him away from the table for that long.  I think he thinks I was trying to pick him up.”

Melinda gasped.  “You didn’t!  You did not!”

“Was that supposed to be a thank you?  If so, it sucked.  Try again.”

“So you don’t like Dem?”

“Like I said, he’s nice, but he’s not my type.  Quit changing the subject and get to it, would you?  I want to know every last thing you two said.  When will you be getting married, and can I be your maid of honor, and how many children are you going to have, and can I be godmother to one of them?”

“You’re insane,” Melinda said, blushing.  She squirmed uncomfortably.  “Now you’re the one who sounds like your mother.  What, do you think he’s going to dress up in a red coat, grab his rifle and bayonet, and come and carry me off?”

“Whatever.  You’re just being evasive again.  Spill it, now.  You owe me.  When is your first date?”

Melinda had not thought nothing could bring her down from her high, but she’d been wrong.  She had been perfectly content with what had happened between herself and Benoit the previous night, but Lou Lou’s question, however innocent, just reminded Melinda of her own inadequacies.  Had Lou been the one sitting with Benoit for hours, she probably would already have had a second, third, and fourth date scheduled with him.

“It wasn’t like that,” Melinda mumbled.  “We had a really good time, but he’s not interested in me like that.”

There was a silence on the other end.  “Look, Melinda—” Lou finally began, but Melinda cut her off.

“No, just don’t say anything.  He wants to be friends, that much is clear.  We talked about a lot of things, and I really think he genuinely enjoyed himself.  He’s a really nice guy, and I’m glad he wants to be friends.  I’m not looking for a boyfriend anyway.”