Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: These are a few of my favorite things

Today I'm debuting a feature I'll do semi-regularly called Top Ten Tuesday.  Basically, this feature will be a rundown list of ten things I really like at the current moment.  I'll feature everything from news stories to books to music and beyond--whatever strikes my fancy.

10. Music: Andy Grammer by Andy Grammer

I was familiar with Andy's song "Keep Your Head Up", which I liked, but I hadn't really discovered him yet.  I am a *huge* fan of the band Train, and when my husband and I went to see Train in August, Andy was the first opening act.  He has an amazing voice, was very funny and entertaining, and he was also quite adorable.  He played several songs, and I bought his album shortly thereafter.  It's been my go-to music for writing lately.

9. TV: Revolution on NBC

Okay, so there are some issues with this show, I admit that.  But I also admit that I'm a sucker for a post-apocalyptic storyline because it's such a great way to explore themes about humanity.  A couple of things about this show bug me, such as Charlie's epic failure to grasp the basic concepts of survival, and her impending romance (come on, you can see it coming from a million miles away) with the would-be bad boy, Nate.  However, I like Miles and Ben is surprising me nicely.  I think this show has potential, so I just hope it doesn't go completely off the rails.

8. Food: Chocolate Fondue

So you melt chocolate and dip delicious, delicious things in it.  What's not to like about this?  When we did ours a couple of nights ago, we stirred a little strawberry balsamic vinegar (Yes, really--chocolate and balsamic vinegar are gorgeous together!) in it.  Pure heaven.

7. Music: Sweet As Whole by Sara Bareilles (Warning, NSFW)

I think Sara Bareilles is phenomenally talented, and this song had me in stitches.  There is something so hilarious about listening to her sing such nasty, mean lyrics in her beautiful voice.  This is a good song for when you're really irritated with someone.

6. Music: Gangnam Style by Psy

I know, I know.  I'm totally late to this party.  But I finally discovered it when a friend made a comment about the horsey dance.  I really wish I had a wedding to go to, just so I could do this dance in a dress and heels.  Admit it, you love it.

5. My Michigan State University Tervis tumbler.  Anything that has Sparty on it is, by default, awesome because Sparty is awesome.  Also, this cup keeps my tea warm for a good, long time.  And it's dishwasher safe, which is pretty much a requirement for me as I hate hand washing with a passion.

4. The weather.  I love fall.  Hate me if you must, but I can't deal with summer.  It's way, way too hot and humid, especially this past summer.  Give me breezy, 60-degree days.  If I lived somewhere with weather like that year round, I'd be in a permanently good mood.

3. My Kindle.  I'm in love with it once more.  I mean, I've always loved it, but every so often I realize how much it makes me geek out that I can carry an entire library with me in a slim, electronic device.  Hey, I'm old.  Back in my day, we had to carry 50 pounds of books around with us--while walking fifteen miles uphill to school, of course!

2. Book:  Isolation by Dan Wells

I really liked Partials, but I like this prequel even better because Heron is a type of character that I find particularly intriguing: one who is morally ambiguous and complex.  I thought Wells did a great job of taking one of the villains from Partials and making her a rich, interesting character with a fascinating background.  I hope he'll write more about her!

1. Website for a cause: Fill the Shelves

This site is the brainchild of some authors, who decided they wanted to do something to help fill the shelves of under served schools.  There are few things I like more than causes that seek innovative ways for filling a need, and this organization is a perfect example.  By providing under served schools with books, they are helping to inspire a love of reading in children who might otherwise have little to no exposure to books and reading.  You can help by going to the site, clicking on the school of your choice, and buying a book from their Amazon wishlist.  I hope to see a lot more schools joining the site.  Oh, and Wil Wheaton reblogged it on his tumblr.  It doesn't get much better than that!