Friday, June 14, 2013

Book Launch Day: Asleep is now available!

In 2012, I decided to try my hand at self-publishing. I wrote Contributor for NaNoWriMo 2011, and it was a novel I wanted to get into the hands of readers rather than sitting on my hard drive collecting dust, which is where all my other manuscripts were. It wasn't ready for publication yet, though, so I decided that, in the meantime, I'd polish up a manuscript I'd written and loved but never thought would be considered marketable enough for me to try shopping it to agents. My goal was to sell 100 copies in the first year. With a great deal of trepidation, I clicked the publish button on The Eye of the Beholder.

Now, a year later, it's still my most successful book. I not only sold those 100 copies, I sold a lot more than that--more than ten times what I'd hoped to sell. I had no idea a Beauty and the Beast retelling would resonate with so many others. I've always loved fairy tales, but I was sure the book was something no publishing company would ever touch, so self-publishing was a huge boon to me.

Since publishing that book, I've published several others. I was a bit like a kid in a candy store. I love to read, love to write, and I wanted to just writing everything I could. Each of my books is special to me in its own way, but The Eye is extra special because it proved to be the little book that could.

Writing a bunch of different things in a variety of genres has been fun, but when NaNoWriMo 2012 rolled around, I wanted to get back to my fairytale roots, and I decided to go with a reboot of Sleeping Beauty. Asleep is the end result.

I won't lie: the book gave me some serious headaches. I had fun doing the world building, and I loved the characters, but I had a hard time wrestling the book into submission. There was much stressing as I tried to figure out a timeline that would work and as I wrote and rewrote chapters to try to make everything mesh together. Then, one magical day, things finally began to fall into place, and I'm quite pleased with the end result. I hope you will be too!


**Note: This book contains some mature content**

A reimagining of the sleeping beauty tale.

When her beloved Prince Devaran is abducted from her parents’ castle during their engagement announcement ceremony, Princess Jessmyn vows that nothing will stop her from bringing his abductors to justice. Rescuing Dev won't be easy, and Jess will have to form an alliance with the other Realms if she's to win the most important battle of her life.

Imprisoned in a forbidding tower, Dev tries to find a way to warn Jess of the perils she’ll face. Weakened by deprivation and by the drugs administered by the madwoman who kidnapped him, Dev drifts between sleep and consciousness. As he relives cherished moments spent with Jess, Dev wonders if he’ll ever again be with the woman he loves.


Asleep is available on Nook, Kindle, and Kobo.

Special thanks to the awesome SM Reine, who did Asleep's fabulous cover. If you think Asleep's cover is beautiful, be sure to check out the gorgeous covers she does for her own books. They'll look fabulous on your ereader! Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like the free exchange of thoughts and ideas, but I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem inappropriate, whether those comments are directed at me or others who have commented. Be polite and respectful, please.