Monday, November 26, 2012

Why Sci-Fi?: Introducing Christine Pope and Tony Bertauski

Welcome to Sci-Fi Spotlight week!  I've teamed up with a great group of indie authors of science fiction, and we're running a promo from November 26-November 30.  You can snag 15 books for free and another 15 books for a mere 99 cents.

Each day this week, I'll feature some of the authors whose books are a part of the Sci-Fi Spotlight.  I hope this will help you, my readers, discover great new authors and books you'll love.

I'd like to kick this week's blog feature off with my own answer to the question:

Why Sci-Fi?

  
All good literature has the power to make us think, to shake the foundation of the things we believe, but I think good science fiction has a particular power to make us look ahead.  It forces us to consider the future impact of current events, and to think deeply about how those events will shape our future.  It makes us question how we want our world to look, and it makes us think about what we can do to ensure our world will look that way.

Contributor is only 99 cents this week!  You can also pick up a copy of Creators, the prequel novella, for free on Tuesday, 11/27, and Wednesday, 11/28!

Why Sci-Fi for Christine Pope?


"I grew up reading science fiction and fantasy. I adored those books, but even back then, when I probably wasn't the most analytical reader in the world, I noted a serious lack of strong female characters or interesting romantic relationships. So Blood Will Tell was inspired by the space opera I loved so much, but with a romance at the heart of the story. I guess I just wanted something with spaceships and explosions and kissing!"

You can grab a copy of Blood Will Tell for only 99 cents this week!

For more on Christine and her books, like her on Facebook, follow her on Twitter, or check out her website.

Why Sci-Fi for Tony Bertauski?


"Santa is not just about the presents. I wanted to get past that and see something deeper about this mythological figure. A story that’s more meaningful. For me, science fiction has always made me see life a little different. Perhaps a bit more clearly.

Claus: Legend of the Fat Man finds a cast of gritty, compassionate and courageous characters that make the journey to mythological fame despite their shortcomings and frailties. It pulls away the veil of magic, reveals the difficulties of love and loss and our struggle with life.

It’s not about the presents. It’s much more than that."

Get your copy of  Claus for only 99 cents this week, and you can also grab a copy of Tony's The Discovery of Socket Greeny for free!

For more on Tony and his books, like him on Facebook or check out his website.